Pennsylvania-Mark Murincsak

Missing since: 09/30/06
Missing from: New Castle,PA
Classification: Endangered Missing
Age at disappearance:44

Investigative Agency:
PA State Police
(724) 598-2211

New Castle Police Search For Missing Man
Murincsak Last Seen Saturday

POSTED: 8:58 am EDT October 2, 2006

NEW CASTLE, Pa. — Police in New Castle are asking for help to find a man missing since Saturday.

Mark Murincsak’s car was found Sunday on the Shenango River Bridge.

Murincsak is 44 years old.

He was last seen on Saturday by his sister.

Anyone with information on his whereabouts is asked to call New Castle police at 724-598-2211.


Search for missing man comes up empty

New Castle News

Police conducted a fruitless search yesterday for a missing man whose truck had been found on a Taylor Township bridge.

As of this morning, 44-year-old Mark Murincsak of 935 Shaffer Road still had not been found.

State police said the man’s sister had last seen him at 11 p.m. Saturday. His truck was found on the Shenango River Bridge on the Route 422 Bypass, around 5:30 a.m. yesterday.

Taylor Township Fire Chief Dave Allegro said 15 volunteer fire department members assisted in the search.

He said the police believe Murincsak may have jumped into the river, because his keys were still inside the truck.

Police initiated a search around 6:30 a.m. with helicopters and the Taylor Township Volunteer Fire Department. Allegro said no dogs were used.

However, a state police helicopter flew over the area to try to locate Murincsak.

The search was difficult because the river was high from the recent rainfalls, Allegro said, and police called it off around 4:30 p.m. yesterday.

Anyone who has information about the whereabouts of Murincsak is asked to call the state police at (724) 598-2211.


Published October 05, 2006 01:00 pm

Mark Murincsak went missing four days ago, and his sister wonders why the search has stopped. When a News reporter contacted a local state police sergeant, he hung up the phone on her.

Sister questions police progress in search for her missing brother

By Debbie Wachter Morris
New Castle News

Mark Murincsak went missing four days ago, and his sister wonders why the search has stopped.

A team of state troopers and firefighters assembled Sunday morning and looked for the 44-year-old Slippery Rock Township man until around 5:30 p.m.

Valeria Ann Sacoulas wondered yesterday why no one has returned to Taylor Township to keep looking.

Police found his abandoned truck parked on the Shenango River Bridge on the Route 422 Bypass early Sunday with the keys on the seat.

Sacoulas wants to know why search dogs were not sent to sniff for him, and why she cannot get answers from police about why the search has stopped, she said.

Murincsak has worked at Wal-Mart two years and lives with his sister on Shaffer Road in Princeton. Sacoulas said he takes medication for bipolar disorder.

Sacoulas worries he suffered from depression after their father’s death in March.

He told her Saturday, You’re all I have left, she remembered.

Murincsak worked Saturday and went home around 11:15 p.m. He changed his clothes, had his usual glass of milk and cookies, and said he was going to bed. He asked Sacoulas to wake him at 8 a.m.

However, she awoke to a call at 6 a.m. from the state police, saying his truck was parked on the bridge.

She checked his room, found he was gone and drove to the area. She said police called her on her cell phone, and told her she would have to move the truck because it was a safety hazard.

Although police have not continued their search since Sunday, Sacoulas said she learned from a trooper yesterday that a helicopter had flown over the area again Monday.

The police are asking that anyone who sees Murincsak contact them at (724) 598-2211.

Station commander Lt. Thomas Hill could not be reached for comment before deadline this morning.

Sgt. Gary Schuler, who accepted a second call from The News today, said he feels the state police are being harassed because a reporter and Sacoulas had called the station this morning about the case.

< NEW LOCAL: Search teams looking for missing man

By Debbie Wachter Morris
New Castle News

A search has failed to produce a missing Slippery Rock Township man.

Mark Murincsak, 44, reportedly left his Shaffer Road home last weekend. State police found his abandoned truck on the Shenango River bridge early Monday morning with the keys inside.

Police and Taylor Township firefighters scoured the area looking for him Oct. 1. A Stat Medevac helicopter searched the location Tuesday at the direction of Taylor’s fire department.

Police and firefighters said Murincsak could have jumped off the bridge into the Shenango River, which has been running high and fast from previous rains.

Murincsak’s sister, Valeria Ann Sacoulas, said he was not home Monday morning when police called about the truck. Sacoulas, 55, lives with her brother.

Sacoulas had been trying to recruit safety forces to resume the search, which reassembled Thursday evening. Two state troopers also walked throughout the area, Sacoulas said.

Sacoulas said she and her friend, Pam Hallas, joined the team around 5 p.m. After four hours, the search was called off because of darkness.

About 40 Taylor Township firefighters turned out, along with members of K-9 SOS dog team.

“They did a marvelous job,” Sacoulas said.

She was told by state police and the fire department that they would return to the river yesterday with boats.

“I praise Taylor Township,” she said, noting that fire Chief David Allegro coordinated Thursday’s effort.

“He was very sympathetic,” she said.

State police Lt. Thomas Hill said there is no evidence that Murincsak jumped into the water. The state police are considering other possibilities.

“We’re interviewing people,” he said. “We physically searched the vicinity of the bridge that day.”

He noted that as of Oct. 1, the river current was too dangerous to initiate a water search.

Allegro said that several firefighters walked the stream’s banks Tuesday night when the medical helicopter was flying over.

After Thursday’s initiative, the search will taper off. He will wait a few days and have the department members check farther downstream.

“The river has to come down about a foot yet to be normal,” he said. “After that it’s going to be a waiting game.”

Sacoulas said that although there is a possibility her brother is dead, she wants to find him to have resolve in her mind.

Recognizing her concerns, Hill commented, “You never can do enough for them until they have closure.”

If you have any information on this case please contact CUE Center For Missing Persons using the contact form below or contact Cue Center at (910) 343-1131 24 hour tip line (910) 232-1687.

All information submitted to CUE Center For Missing Persons is confidential.

Submit Confidential Tip HERE