Rhode Island-Smithfield, Providence County
Reconstruction of Victim by FBI
Unidentified White Male
* The victim was discovered on June 18, 1987 in Smithfield, Providence County, Rhode Island.
* Estimated age: 25 – 35 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5’5″; 122 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Possibly Hispanic. He had receding, straight hair, brown eyes and a brown mustache. He also had a scruffy beard. Short with slender build. No tattoos, no scars.
* Dentals: There are dentals, but of no value.
* Clothing: A black muscle shirt bore the inscription “San Juan” on front and back. He was clad in gray sweatpants, and wore no socks under his size 7 1/2 McGregor Tristar sneakers.
* Fingerprints: Available
* DNA: Available
The victim was found floating in Stump Pond, Smithfield, RI in 1987. His body was weighted down and riddled with 21 stab wounds.
The man was festooned in chicken wire and ballasted by 90 pounds of rocks and barbell weights, all fastened by coaxial cable. He had 7 wounds on his head, 14 on his chest. The weapon was thought to have been an ice pick or similar instrument. Anchored by the weights, he had presumably lain out of sight on the floor of the pond for one to three weeks.
There was neither wallet nor identification.
Smithfield, Rhode Island is close to Massachusetts and Connecticut. The victim and the killer could be from anywhere in New England.
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Smithfield Police Department
Detective Sgt. Kenneth A. Brown
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.